Tips for Parking in Union, NJ
Whether you live in a small neighborhood or large city, finding affordable and convenient parking can be a stressful and time consuming task. Union, NJ, just like many other municipalities, has specific rules and regulations in place for parking to keep everyone safe. If you are thinking about moving into Union or you are planning to visit in the near future, the following tips will be helpful to understand where you can and cannot park – including the types of vehicles authorized, specific locations to consider, and designated hours.
Each street in Union has clearly defined hours in which vehicles are permitted to park. The general rule across the entire city is that no vehicle should be parked longer than 72 hours in the same spot on any public roadway in the Township of Union. It is important to pay close attention to street signs in order to avoid costly parking violations.
There are currently no parking garages right in Union which are open to the public. Nearby towns including Roselle Park, Elizabeth, and Maplewood have some parking garages for those in Union to take advantage of. The following lots and garages are less than 15 minutes from Union and are available for daily or overnight parking – check each location for additional information:
- SP+ Parking – Roselle Park, NJ
- 38-56 Jefferson Ave – Elizabeth, NJ
- J. Christian Bollwage Garage – Elizabeth, NJ
- SP+ Parking – Elizabeth, NJ
Under Article VA, residential areas of Union have strict rules regarding parking and who exactly is allowed to park there. From Monday through Sunday, there are designated hours during which no vehicles can be parked on certain streets, unless:
- The vehicle is owned or operated on a regular basis by a resident of that street.
- The vehicle has a current residential parking permit displayed on its left rear window in such a manner as to be closely examined by an officer.
- The vehicle falls under one of the exceptions to the parking ban.
Visitors, however, are exempt from this parking permit article under the following circumstances:
- A vehicle displaying a current visitor parking permit may park a maximum of two days, provided that the operator of the vehicle is a bona fide guest of a residence within the permit parking area. The visitor’s permit shall be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle in such a manner as to be clearly visible by an officer enforcing parking regulations.
Union Train Station Parking
NJ Transit offers rail service at the Union Train Station for working professionals and anyone traveling to NYC and surrounding areas. The station includes a parking lot with over 450 spaces for your convenience. You can contact NJ Transit to purchase monthly and quarterly parking passes at the Union Train Station. There is a form available in the clerk’s office for a 10% rebate to Union residents who purchase a quarterly pass. The form is due on December 31st of each year with proof of payment. For any additional information or questions regarding parking or rebates, contact the clerk’s office directly.
Rent an Apartment at Summit Court Union
Summit Court in Union is a luxury apartment complex, ideal for newlyweds, young professionals, empty nesters, and new parents alike. Residents can head to downtown Union for a wide variety of artisan eateries and one-of-a-kind boutiques, as well as recreational parks and golf courses. Located just outside of Manhattan, Summit Court offers the lifestyle that savvy apartment renters dream of. For more information regarding our 1 and 2-bedroom apartments or to schedule a tour, please contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you!